Friday, June 12, 2009

Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection ~ Melanoma Update

Here is an update on the past two weeks as far as medical issues continue to plague my life. Ah!!

While preparing to move to Norman, I had "strained my neck". You know that "crick" you get in your neck that makes any movement next to impossible. Yeah, that was that pain. It continued and flared up again once we got here. I went to see Dr. Harris, one of the orthopedic surgeons I used to work for here in Norman. We did a cervical MRI which revealed a ruptured disc at c5-6 and a disc bulge at C6-7. We made the choice to go conservative with treatment because the thought of more invasive options was too much for me right now.

I saw a pain management physician on Wednesday and he worked me into his Thursday schedule for a Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection into my neck. I was pleased that he worked me in, I didn't feel to waiting another week for relief. Went to Moore Medical Center at 1:00 Wednesday afternoon and was out and on our way back home by 3:30. All in all, it went well. Now, I've had epidurals with both pregnancies, but to have one in my neck made me a little concerned. I slept all of yesterday afternoon, which felt good. Woke up this morning and have a pretty bad headache, but I shouldn't complain. The neck pain is still present, but they said I should start to feel "something" in a few days. I am scheduled for the 2nd injection on the 25th (they schedule three at a time). If I feel no relief after this first injection, we will consider more seriously a more aggressive approach, like surgery. If I feel some relief, any at all, we will go ahead with injection #2. Please pray that I will get relief after this first injection and not have to go through any more.


A week ago Thursday (4th of June) I had three concerning spots removed by a dermatologist friend here in Norman. One came back as a pre-cancer so he is going to freeze that off and we will watch it. The other two came back as melanoma. It didn't show that it was malignant, so he is going to do an excision on those two sights on June 29th. We'll continue to pray that the melanoma is concentrated to those two sights and shows no signs of malignancy. I have deep peace about those two sights.

I had meant to post a few weeks ago, but I just feel tired of always having "problems" and requesting prayer for medical conditions that we continue to face.

Kory had a little trouble being dropped off at school on Wednesday. Daddy had to take him, and when they got there, he cried and said he didn't want to stay. I'm not sure why...but I can relate. I remember not wanting to be left at daycare of church camp...but this was the first of anything of this nature in the three years of his life. Eventually, one of his little friends, Faith, came over to him and brought some cars and told him that they were going to be playing in the sprinklers later that day....and he was fine.

Today though, Friday, he didn't want to go again. I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I should make him go or just roll with this for a few days and see if he feels different on Sunday for church (his school is at the church we are visiting right now). Any suggestions?

The girls are good. They had their version of WWE SmackDown this morning. That in itself isn't such a big deal, it that Megan turned on Ashley. Instead of letting Ashly womp on her, she turned on her and used her weight to sit on her. It was the funniest thing. Meg screaming "I got you! I got you!" and Ashley hollering through her laughter "You too heavy, get off!". it was funny.

Well, I'm outta here for now. Hope everyone is doing well! I'm going to try and post some pictures later today of our first pool adventure of the summer. Oh Ashley....she is going to age me this summer with her "No Fear" mentality. Oh Lord....keep her safe! :0)
Love to all!!
In His Grip!!










3 comments:

sweetorunsweet? said...

I am glad your epidural went well and I hope the relief is better each day, I usually get one injection and I m good so I hope this is true for you as well. The spot are going to be fine so no worries there. Miss you bunches - I have a card in the mail for you so look for it next week- love you _ debe

Bonnie said...

Prayers for you Kristi...I dont know about the neck pain but I'm sure it will get better for you soon. I've done the lower back injections as well as your friend Nancy but not up to doing the surgery. I feel your pain. I also want to say prayers about the skin tests as well. We love you and we are always here for you ok.

Nancy said...

So sorry about the disc Kristi...that's what I had (only in my lower spine)....plus a multitude of other problems. I've had between 8-10 steroid injections, and trust me they do work. They can take almost 2 weeks to fully "kick in", so don't get discouraged. I dealt with the problems for 8 years before finally giving in and having surgery. Hopefully, you will get some relief and you can avoid that for the time being.
Just be aware that in the beginning you'll get relief for (hopefully) a long time. Just remember that the more injections that you get the shorter the span of relief.
I'll be thinking about you and sending prayers and warm fuzzzies!!! Good luck and best wishes!!!!