Sunday, July 5, 2009

The One That Didn't Get Away....

Every mother has her proud moments. The typical moments that bring a tear of joy and awe as our young ones pass another milestone in their journey to becoming all that is intended for them. This past Thursday, July 2, 2009, was a very memorable day and an even more proud moment for me as a mother.

Papa John and Nana came out to Grandma Gayle's so that they could watch Kory share with them how his fishing skills have grown over the past few months. It was somewhat of a circus as the five of us and the two of them hovered around the dock as rods were flying and hooks went zipping by at record speed. My fear was that someone was going to end up with a hook implanted and that drama would end our adventure after a short time.





The girls enjoyed being out there. They were given "snoopy" fishing poles as well. Ashley would do exactly what Kory did (we cut her hook off since she doesn't just yet grasp the concept of a hook). She adores Kory and follows his every move. She is also partial to her Papa and stood by his side most of the time.






Megan enjoyed herself as well. She is fascinated by any animal...and to her a "worm" is not only an animal but "snack". She enjoys playing with them and holding them tightly in her precious little hands. Keeping them away from her lips for "kisses" is a little bit of a challenge. She also liked the bread that we first threw out into the water to "call the fish and turtles" up to the surface. She'd never eat bread while sitting in her high chair like she does when we are down at the dock. She protects that stuff with such passion and stuffs it in as fast as she can...seriously!





We spent a good amount of time down on the dock....and it was one of the nicest moments of time we've had in a long time. It was hot, sticky, and lots of action... but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. Kory and I love to lay on our tummies and fish from that vantage point.



Then.....it happened. Daren and Papa were teaching Kory how to cast and reel with a bait casting reel ("grown up" rod and reel). He caught on really fast. They had tied on a crank bait. As he reeled it in for the first time, he thought he had a fish on. (they tend to have resistance when reeling them in compared to "worm" fishing). Well, on his third cast...he truly had a fish on. (Nana and I had come up to the house with the girls, so this part of the story is coming from Papa's excitement) The fish jumped and dove back into the water, but Kory held tight and kept reeling it in. Daren and Papa realized that this wasn't any small fish by any means. It was a large mouth bass...not just a tiny bass...but one that weighed over 5 pounds. Papa came running up to the house asking for the camera and when I figured out why....I ran out of the house as if it was on fire and was on the dock within seconds.

There it was. The one that didn't get away! I can't really describe how special of a moment this was for me. I've always had a passion for fishing. Daren and I fished tournaments here in Oklahoma back in the day (about 15 years ago), then I was given the opportunity to fish on the FLW Tour as a co-angler for two seasons. (that's another full story for another post). I think some mom's (except for Ms. Debe) would not understand how much this moment meant to me as a mother. I mean, it's just a fish to some, but to me, it was my son finding passion for a sport in which brought great joy to his mommy's life for some time. I am so very, very, proud of Kory. He reeled this beast of a fish all the way to the dock, when the fish took a final dive under the dock, Daddy helped him out so that it wouldn't jump off. This fish, it's 3/4 as long as Kory is tall. It's mouth, huge. Kory didn't understand all the hooting and hollering and praise he was receiving at the time. He just knew he had done a great thing. As Daren held the fish for Kory to see...he pointed out the teeth, touched his fins, but he had never seen in person such a large fish, so he was a little taken back by getting too close to it.

This moment could not have been any more perfect than it was. It was a moment that I have great joy in the fact that my dad was here to see this. It was a moment I'll never forget. This fish is dedicated not only to my Dad (who was here ~ Papa), brother & my nephew Major, but also to my Grandpa Strombom and my Uncle Brian who also have a passion for fishing. (Congrats to my Uncle Brian for winning a tournament out in California recently!! I've meant to write you for some time....and will do as soon as I can...I was so thrilled to hear the news.

Well, here are the pictures. I hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed the moment.





So, this isn't just a fish tale...it's a moment in time to be remembered for always. Thank you Papa and Nana for coming out to see us and share in this moment with us. It was so much more special with you here. We love you!





(Ignore the "ouch" on my nose. I fell earlier in the week and my nose broke the fall on the edging of the pool. Didn't break my nose, though it looks like it. Just scraped the skin off and fractured the bone around the eye and a hairline fracture of my skull. Nice Huh?)


So, the night came to an end. Nana helped me put the girls down to bed and treated them to a bedtime story which thrilled them to no end. Kory got invited to spend the night at Nana and Papa's and couldn't get out the door soon enough. As they buckled him in and shut the door. Kory waved back at us and said "Bye kids! See ya!" Too cute!





This night was special. It's not a first step, first word, or first grade. It's the birth of a passion that I pray will grow over the years and give Kory something to love to do.You did such an amazing job buddy for only being three!!! Meggie, your love for food and your love for animals might become a problem. :0) No matter what, you are sweet and lovable...my little squishy. I thank God daily for your health and that He protected and healed you as a tiny baby...to think that we could have lost you...that you weren't supposed to be able to walk or talk...Your joy is God's gift! Ashley, your independence amazes me every day. You are brave and certain of who you are (and what you want). I pray you will always have the confidence to go for what you want in life & the conviction in your heart to follow Jesus. I am so blessed to be the mommy of these three precious lives. Some days I feel crazy.... Some days are so hectic that I find myself running in circles never accomplishing anything...Some days I long for naps and bedtime...but not today. Today is a good day. Today we shared a moment together as a family and I treasure that. Thank You God for Your goodness. Protect these little lives God, please. In Your Son's name...

In His Amazing Grip!

9 comments:

Papa John said...

Just too cool -- great story and pictures...truly moments worth remembering. Makes all the tough times pale in comparison...tough to be out fished by your grandson (I've never caught a bass that big).

Love ya and see ya'll Wed night
Papa John

Talva Keith said...

What a precious story! Such an exciting time for all of you! Thanks so much for sharing it and the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great catch!!! Way to go Kory. I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful, memorable day. Great memories! Loved the pictures. But Kristi - you must be more careful - what more can happen to you?!

Love,

Peggy

Anonymous said...

Praise be to God for all creatures great and small, the blessings of children and how he made us to mix. WOW!~ Your touching story reminds us all to look at life through the lens of love. Thanks for sharing.

Jen Carson said...

Precious! Precious! Precious! Beautiful Blog.

Thanks for sharing,
Jennifer

Katelyn Hukill said...

"Kory is my hero! officially!! :D"
Katelyn H.

Anonymous said...

Kristi -- this is a Colonel we knew from Norton whom I've kind of kept in touch with over the years -- he always has nice things to say about you and your family.

See ya at dinner tomorrow night!

Love ya!

Dad

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Christman
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 8:19 PM
To: Rhodes, John D

Cc: Donald Christman
Subject: Re: Loved By His Grace : The One That Didn't Get Away....


I couldn't help but see Kristi's nose. What a sign of maturity. She didn't hide from
any of the pictures though they didn't flatter her too much with that terrible red nose.
I had always remembered her as a beautiful girl in high school and that hasn't changed a bit.
Gee!!! Golf and hours on end of fishing!! Sounds like a great preamble to heaven. That may be
the only way we'll survive our current president. I liked Col Bud Day's comment in the one letter
circulating by him. He calls Obama our "make believe president." If you haven't seen the letter about
torture I'd be glad to forward it to you. He endured unspeakable acts and bears many scars that will
never go away. He disagrees with Sen McCain and derides the administration for classifying much
of the Abu Grab treatment as torture. Humiliation is a far cry from what he endured.
Have an absolutely super time!!!


Blessings, Don

Joni said...

hey friend! I can't figure out how to post on your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your story and pictures. I feel like I was peeking in on a personal family moment, but I loved every minute of it. Cory cracked Max up with the "see you kids" comment. ha! I'll be coming in on Wednesday morning...maybe we could go to lunch and get caught up??

Have a very blessed day!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/jonibrown

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much, Cole family. Texas is'nt the same without you all. I really think Kory caught that fish in Texas and drove it to OK. That fish is toooooo big for OK. Love you all, Barbara Bobo