Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Be My Refuge, Lord

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3 (NIV)

"Be My Refuge, Lord"! This is day #1 of a new book that I would classify as a "devotional" book. It's not really a work book, nor does it have days numbered. It's, from what I can tell thus far, a "guided journey" (as I like to call these books) to resting in the refuge of the Almighty. You don't have to finish it on a certain day, and it's not scheduled to take "x" amount of weeks to complete.

So, today's chapter was titled "Walking Upright in the Lord". It's a short chapter, only three pages, but it opened my eyes to some areas in my life that have been left unattended to (areas that I have left vulnerable to persuasion). I thought I would journal a few thoughts and "quotes" from this chapter and share them with anyone willing or desiring to read this.

It talks about how some of our deepest quests in life is for happiness or the "key" to being happy. I know that in my own life what has been "around" me at times doesn't "make me happy" or lead me to that which does. But, in my foolishness and hard headed nature, I kept searching the world over for that one thing or that one person that would fill me with joy and I'd live "happily ever after". I would search for that one thing that would sparkle bright enough, be trendy enough to "fit in", or popular enough to become recognized. I looked to people and things for a number of years to only find myself longing for more and lacking less in my "happiness". I still to this day can get caught up in "needing" approval from others to feel justified or loved. I think this will always be something that I have to diligently and with effort work on during my lifetime. Daily seeking God's presence, not to be "happy" (that to me is an emotion and emotions can ebb and flow like a tide) but to live in joy, which is one of the fruits that living in the Spirit produces. (Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.)

In this chapter, The Barnes (Bob and Emilie), concentrate on three things concerning "happiness":(I like to use the word "joy")

1) What to avoid

2) What to concentrate on

3) What a happy person is like

Now that I have read the "what to avoid"...I can see the holes in my life, the areas where these taboo things have had control or influence on my happiness. We need to steer clear of counsel that is not wise or grounded in God's truth, in His Word.

In today's society, in our economic and moral state as a nation, there is so much in journalism that is negative (magazines, newspapers, Internet, etc....), so much that promotes evil or filled with lies by omission (not stating the entire truths/facts). There are groups that feel that they have the right to same sex marriages or abortions. (and many others I'm sure) Through many avenues the media can creep into our lives; our minds; our homes and we can become emotionally cluttered with all the negative and pain of this world. It can steal our joy as Christians as we spend our time here on earth.
God's Word in Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You." If our minds are on God and the things of God, our minds will be at peace and in that peace we can experience joy.
#2 referenced what to concentrate on (again, I like the word "dwell" instead). This, again, is an area that takes continual effort in my life. I can tend to concentrate on the things going on around me, things and situations that I have no control over. Then, I not only lose my joy, but my ability to concentrate on any one thing. My mind runs from thing to thing to thing, never solving or accomplishing anything at all. I want something fixed fast and I don't want it to take time. I hate to read instructions, I'd rather fumble through trying to put it together. I've never liked word problems in math and the time and concentration in took to figure the answer out. BUT, what we concentrate on, what our hearts meditate on become a direct reflection of who we are in Christ. We are to dwell in Him, all day, every day, in all things.
Do I find myself doing this? No. If I did concentrate on Him more, I'd hear His voice, I'd see His hand guiding me, I'd rest in peace that comes only from His presence...not just a visit every now and then, but living my life in His presence. Sure, we all fall short, but God knows the desires of our hearts. He knows our intentions and see our effort and the more time we give Him, the more we will be inspired to give Him more. So, I've resolved to continually remind myself to concentrate on Him and not my surroundings, not Daren's job loss, not the stress of no income, nothing that would lure me away from His shelter.

#3 talks about what a happy person is like. I'm not sure that I am a big fan of the word "happy" to categorize an emotion. I like the word joy...so I'm going to use that instead. I think that it is easier to recognize a happy person. These people are usually individuals that are swayed by life events. Happy people who enter difficult seasons, usually tend to lose sight of God and struggle to remain grounded in Him and His word. When you are filled with joy, a fruit of the Spirit, it's an emotion that people or circumstances can't take from you. It's a choice we make every day to walk in joy even when everything around us is pulling us in an opposite direction.

Am I a "happy" person all the time? No. Just ask my husband. Do I ALWAYS walk in the joy of the Lord? No. I fall short more often than I'd like to honestly admit. At times, my passion for His word and His ways gets cluttered by my circumstances or I think that I'm too busy to acknowledge and walk in the joy that He has given to each believer who has made the CHOICE to bear the fruit of the Spirit. (This is where, #2 from above, is vital)
Psalm 4:8 ~ "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."
Psalm 84:4 ~ "Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you. Selah"
Psalm 84:10 ~ "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."
So, in my own words, this chapter has refreshed my memory to what is important in my journey here on this earth. In the hectic day to day of life, our "filters" can get dusty. Every now and again, a basic refreshing of our relationship with Christ is needed in order to effectively live in His will.
* Avoid negative influences of this world. Base your convictions off the Word of God, not the word of man.
* Dwell in Him. Stay connected to Him every day. Concentrate, meditate, worship, & study His word. Keep your focus on God and His call on your life.
* Be full of joy. Be so certain in your walk with Christ that your joy doesn't come and go with trials and victories. Trusting in God is the only way to finding true and lasting joy. This is a big one for me!! This is something I am going to have to make a conscience effort every day to find His joy in this world and in my own personal life. When everything around me, people, circumstances, finances, health... when these things look bleak, look up. Look to Him & it is there you will find Hope and in that hope, you'll find joy.
In His Grip~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN Sister!!! He is our ROCK, our FORTRESS, our MIGHTY TOWER, our SOLID FOUNDATION! Stay attached to the ANCHOR. So glad to hear you are staying connected. Keep it up. We all trip and fall, but God remains faithful even when we aren't and He is always there to pick us back up again.

Miss you,

Love,

Peggy Snyder