Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Extraordinary Faith ~ Sheila Walsh

So, my friends....it's 4:30 in the morning and I woke up, tired, but unable to go back to sleep. I've learned over time that when I can't fall back into a peaceful sleep, God has something to say to me, that in the craziness of my day, I wouldn't probably hear.

This dark quiet morning is no different. I rolled out of bed, stumbling over various boxes and totes that for some reason I can't bring myself to unpack. I found the laptop (that my brother so graciously let us borrow) and turned the light of my cell phone on to look for my Bible. As I found my Bible, I also found a book by Sheila Walsh; "Extraordinary Faith ~ God's Perfect Gift for Every Woman's Heart". And trust me, I thirst for that very thing.

Chapter 1 ~ An Uncertain Beginning ~ When Our Plans Fall Apart



(This is no "luck" to find, this is my God. This is one of the many ways in which, when I still my heart and turn it towards Him and sit in silence, He speaks ever so softly and tenderly.)

The introduction to this chapter starts with a quote and Scripture from Hebrews.



My faith has found a resting place,


Not in device or creed;


I trust our ever living One,


His wounds for me shall plead.


I need no other argument,


I need no other plea,


It is enough that Jesus died,


And that He died for me!!


~Eliza E. Hewitt, 1891




Hebrews 11:1 ~


Now faith is the SUBSTANCE of things hoped for,


the evidence of things NOT SEEN. (NKJV)




In my lifetime, I have been blessed to know many people of great faith. Sheila Walsh and her testimony has been a truly pure example of true faith in every life circumstance. I gravitate to her writing because there is a connection I feel with her testimony and I believe with all my heart, God has put this amazing lady and her writing in front of my journey to let me know, "You are not alone My child"!!!




There are a few points in this first chapter that I wanted to bullet here below. I encourage you to pick up this book if you find yourself in a valley with faith wavering and hopelessness or helplessness (true attacks from the enemy...and not thoughts of God).




~ Psalm 37 "The Lord DELIGHTS in the way of the man whose steps he has made firm. Though he stumble, he will NOT FALL, for the Lord UPHOLDS Him WITH HIS HAND"(emphasis mine)




~ "I have stood with others as they have buried their children even though they were godly people who had asked God to spare their loved ones. The issue that troubles me most with faith is the burden many carry when they don't get the answer they have prayed for. They feel as they have failed n some way. That seems a cruel yoke to wear in the midst of pain. I have received their letters and heard their pain-filled words....




-> "If I would have had more faith, my child would not have died"


-> "If I had more faith, I would find a husband"


-> "If I had more faith, this curse of cancer would leave me"




~ "During my tenure as co host of "The 700 Club", we aired stories of those who had experienced God's miraculous intervention in their lives. The stories were inspiring and, Pat believes, faith-building. My problem with that when all you show are the stories with the happy endings, it can seem to those watching that God always responds that way if you have enough faith. Therefore, if your child dies or your husband doesn't come home, you have failed in some way.




~ "My heart ached for God's people who were longing to find some mysterious key that would unlock the answers they desired




~ "I like things to make sense to me. I want to be able to understand what God is doing, but that's not always the case. Sometimes the plans we have made, the hopes and dreams that we carry, fall apart at our feet. Are you in that place now? Do you wonder if god has abandoned you, or if you have missed God somewhere along the path? It is the loneliest place on earth as a believer to feel as if God has left you OR to live with the taunting voice that says you have blown it and missed Gods' best for your life. As we walk through this book together, I pray that we will receive a clearer picture of what it means to walk by faith, no matter what sight may tell us"






That is just a few of the points that struck a chord in my heart. I am excited to read this book. My faith is in need of an extreme makeover from our Father who loves us beyond comprehension!!




Sheila Walsh is one of the most amazing people that I "know". I say "know" because I don't "know her, know her"...I just feel a pure connection between her life and my own. From life struggles. She has been through a great deal, but God never left her side and it is so apparent in this book...and any of her book that you might read.




Below I've posted a picture of this book and if you click on it, it will take you to her website, where in her own words, you can read her testimony. (If it doesn't, go to: http://www.sheilawalsh.com/index.html
If you've struggled, if you have questioned, if you just need to find your faith again and be reassured that God is there with you, I urge you to pick up one of her books. If you can't afford to buy one, I will see what I can do to get one for you. Just click on the comment button at the bottom of this post and leave me your address or the address of where it can be shipped to and I will find a way to put this book or a Bible in your hands.


May God bless both you the reader and me the writer today in whatever challenge or battle you may be in. If you are on the top of the mountain, full of rejoicing...may your faith be strengthened and may you see the path that God has walked you through. Even as Christians, our faith can be tested. God does this to prune us and grow us into His likeness.




May your day be filled with the most abundant blessings and I pray that God touches your life today in a way that fills you with his peace, love, and compassion. And remember....He faileth NOT!
In His Grip, Through His Grace~


No comments: