Friday, March 20, 2009

Still Trying to Accept....

I haven't been able to post until now about my little nephew, Major Hezekiah Rhodes, who went back into the arms of the Lord at only 15 months old. His glorious return to heaven caught every single one of us off guard. I never, ever would have thought that something like this would happen to our family. Since November of last year when this tragic event shook our lives, questions have flooded my heart. How could a loving God give this precious child to my brother and his wife, only to take him back so unexpectedly and so tragically. How could God put a family throug such pain when their faith and love for Him alone is the cornerstone of their life...why them? The silence thatfollows these questions we pray every day, is deafening. At least for me it is. Though this is not my child, I love him (as I do his three sisters) as if he was my own. The journey through grief seems so long. I'm not even sure if you ever reach the "end" of the grieving process. All I know is that our faith, though shaken and tested, must rest and find some sort of peace in God's will ~ The will in which we do NOT understand. If we never know, this side of heaven, God's reason for allowing this, I pray His peace will fill our hearts and lives so that our days left here on earth will be tolerable at least. I post this now after such a long time for a number of reasons. 1) I don't want the body of Christ to forget this loss and the effect it's had and continues to have on my brother and his family 2) For me, though none of this is about me, it's a way to express my feelings. Feelings that when left inside tend to pull me into a darkness in which I choose to not return. 3) My brother and his wife are expecting baby #5 in the next few months. Please pray for this precious new life as well as the daughters that they already have. I have never felt so inadequate in being able to comfort and love someone through such a deep valley. I am sure I've said things that weren't the "right" things to say. I'm sure that there are times, when being silent would have been best. I love my brother. I stand in awe and respect at the man of God he is and though this has cut to the core of his heart, I want him to know that there isn't a day where my heart doesn't feel for him....there isn't a day where I cry out to God that He will touch the five of them and hold them close to Him now, more than ever. Below, is a slide show that in the days following Major's death, my brother was able to put together. The song will always penetrate my heart. And the pictures, they will always bring a mixture of great joy as well as tears. Dave, if by chance you read this posting...I just want you to know in your heart how much I love you. I want you to know that I am here...today, tomorrow, forever.... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. You are never alone. Again, I love you so much and I miss you!! This is a precious life!

No comments: