Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Season Is Here....

Well, as if this will shock any of you....Sunday afternoon, my son started to feel a little "under the weather". Sunday night he ran a fever...low grade...low 100's, and just grumpy. Monday, the gates opened and he was sick. Sick by every meaning of the word.

His temperature hit it's high mark at 104.6 accompanied by "bad head" (headache) and tummy ache. He started to do the entire throwing up and throwing down thing. Concerned with everything that seems to be circulating here in Norman, I took him to urgent care Tuesday morning. After and hour wait and him continually throwing up, we were taken back to an exam room, where the Dr. came in, looked at him and said "we can't help him here. He needs to go to the emergency room". So much for that hour... so they got our referral formed filled out and sent us on our way.

We arrived at the E.R. and suprisingly taken back immediately. They ran some test and found that he had a strain of the H1N1 virus. Opting for conservative care, they chose to give him some oral zofran (nausea medication) and then a popsicle to see if he could hold that down. He did and they sent us home by 4:00 p.m.

Later that night, his temperature was still hoovering in the high 103 to 104's. To add insult to injury, he started to throw up blood. I guess all the wrenching "irritated" his espophogas and caused bleeding. I took him back to the E.R. where they went ahead and admitted him to the third floor. (this process took 3 hours). He did really well with most of it until they came to stick him with an I.V.

His nurse was great!! Ann loved on him and got it the first try. He wasn't happy though, but she won his heart back with a few new cars. They let me ride on the bed with him up to his room and trust me...from there, it was all tears and crying all night long. Daren showed up a little after 1 a.m. to bring some things I needed and when he left, the poor little guy cried and cried. Finally at abou 4:00 a.m. they gave him another nausea medication that helped him relax a little and he slept from 5:00 a.m. to about 7:30 a.m.

Upon waking, he managed to eat 1/2 of a popsicle and then by lunch time, they had let him have some "real" food and I believe that's when he started to make his "come back". The Dr. returned Wednesday night and discharged us to come home.

It's been another long week. They all seem to be these days. But, I have hope for a brighter future....one with less drama and more joy. Good things come to those who wait...and I am doing my best to not allow my heart to become jaded or cynical in all the negativity that surrounds me.

Thank you to everyone who sent notes and calls to wish him well. Thank you also most importantly for your prayers! We covet those and adore them dearly! I feel blessed to have such a great support system of friends!!

Much love to all!!

No comments: